The library collection consists of over 3,50,000 volumes of books and about 415 current periodicals subscription (both foreign and local) of different Faculties, Centers and Institutes. The collection is increasing every year.
1) The main collection: Consisting of books and monographs are housed in the ground floor and 1st floor arranged according to the Dewey Decimal Classification number, so that documents of the same or related subjects are together.
2) Journals collection: The Journals collection consists of current Journals arranged alphabetically by title kept in the Mezonine floor and over 40,000 bound volumes of journals which are arranged by Dewey Decimal Classification number on the shelves in the same floor. These can only be used within the library. There is also provision for 12 rooms for individual study and research for M.Phil & Ph.D. students.
3) The reference collection: It consists mainly of encyclopaedias, dictionaries, hand books, manuals, Publisher’s catalogue, Books in print, Government publications, World Bank, IMF, UNESCO, ILO, UNICEF, BBS, University publications, World Almanac, Maps, Globe, Publication of United Nations and NGOs etc. are housed in the mezzanine floor. These can only be used within the library. The reference staffs assist in locating information and provide necessary instructions in the use of the reference materials and sources. There is also provision for 12 rooms for individual study and research for faculty members, M. Phil and Ph. D. students.
4) Rare Section: C.U. publications and theses, such as research reports, dissertations, projects reports, reports, reprints, University Journals/studies are kept in the rare section.
5) Rare Collection: It consists of various old manuscripts written in Bengali, Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian, Urdu of about 600, which were written during the period 1872 to 1953. There are some manuscripts and other documents written on vuljapatra, Palm leaves, Tulat Paper etc. Some widely circulated daily newspapers (from 1968) kept in Bound volumes. Some Intellectuals and phillanthropists namely: Munshi Abdul Karim Sahitya Bisharad, Professor (Dr.) Abdul Karim, Professor (Dr.) Abdul Gafur, Ibne Golam Nabi, Babu Kemesh Chandra. Raskhit, Dr. Rashid-AI-Faruqui, Professor (Dr.) Bhuiyan Iqbal donated their valuable personal collections. There are many old and rare books in Bengali, Persian, Urdu & Arabic in the Rare section.
6) Other resource: Includes CD ROMs, floppies are kept in the 1st floor.